Borger Country Club
Was probably a direct outgrowth of Club Fifty, a for-men-only organization, which maintained small clubroom facilities at the Huber Golf Course and had set aside Thursday afternoons for golf play and an evening meal for its members. Discussions at the nineteenth hole and at coffee breaks down-town lead to ideas about an expanded facility that would include wives of members in its activities and, finally, to the organization of a country club in Borger with a new clubhouse, complete with ballroom, dining and bar facilities, swimming pool and tennis courts.
At the time most towns the size or Borger already had a country club, but Borger, on the other hand, had two eighteen-hole golf courses and did not need another place simply to play golf. Besides this, the acquiring of land and the construction of a new golf course would require a capital outlay far beyond the means of even the most optimistic country club booster.
The ideal solutions to the problem was to construct a clubhouse and pool adjacent to the Huber Golf Course and to seek and arrangement with J.M. Huber Corporation for the use of its golf course by country club members on a monthly, per-member-fee basis. Fortunately for the aspiring project, Bob Takewell, Earl Blackburn and Al Hahn of the Huber management team lived in Borger and were golfers or otherwise interested in the building of the clubhouse and pool. Through the efforts of these gentlemen and agreement was made with J.M Huber Corporation whereby club members and their families could use the golf course for the modest fee of $4 per month membership.
While Borger had two good golf courses, it had always been sadly lacking in good places to dine, adequate facilities for year-round entertainment and areas for family-type recreation. For these reasons the wives and families of prospective club members became enthusiastic supporters of the new club and contributed greatly to its becoming a reality.
On April 1, 1954, an earnest-money payment of $750 against the $4,000 purchase price of ten acres of land was made to the Christian family, and with a building site adjacent to the golf course acquired , preliminary planning for the club-house was begin.
A feature story with pictures in the Sunday, December 11th, 1955 edition of the Borger News-Herald tells of the formal opening of the club on Saturday, December 10th, at which a buffet dinner was served. This feature story described the new clubhouse as spacious and elegant, being located just south of the 7th green on the golf course. The club was served by a staff of eight, with Bill Hawkins as manager.
The club made process in establishing a sound financial base and in developing interesting and enjoyable programs for its members. The golf course was the principal attraction, and golf activity included club championship play for men and women, weekly ladies day play with a luncheon, scotch foursomes for couples and an annual Calcutta tournament. Indoors there were game nights featuring bridge, bingo, gin rummy and a special Las Vegas party. During the winter season there were special holiday dances and parties, and in the fall there were parties after the football games. Various women's clubs staged style shows in the spring. The club provided a Christmas party for the children of members, and the Sunday noon buffet had been popular from the beginning.